IMPORTANT: You are responsible for obtaining the proper travel documents for the destinations on your itinerary.
Passports: Your U.S. passport should be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of travel. Passport applications are available at most U.S. Post Offices, as well as at regional Passport Agencies. To learn how to apply for a U.S. Passport including expedited services, click here. Passengers requiring visas, whether obtained in advance or locally upon arrival, should ensure that their passport has unstamped visa pages.
Visas: If a visa is required and cannot be obtained upon arrival in your destination, you should make arrangements with the appropriate foreign consular representative, allowing enough time for mailing and processing. Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly.
Double Entry/ Multiple Entry Visas: If your itinerary involves entering a country, leaving and then later re-entering the same country, you may require a double-entry or multiple entry visa. Be sure to describe your itinerary clearly when contacting a foreign consular representative.
Entry Requirements for U.S. Passport Holders: Country details below are based on information obtained from the U.S. State Department. This information is subject to change. To check for updates, please check with the consular office of the countries to be visited and/or click here.
Non U.S. Citizens: All information provided below pertains to U.S. passport holders only. Non-U.S. Citizens should check with the appropriate foreign consular representative.
Sea Cruise Passengers: Passengers on sea cruises should check carefully the requirements for each country to be visited on their sailing itinerary. Passengers without the correct documentation may be denied boarding at time of embarkation. Passengers may contact their sea cruise line directly for information but remain responsible to obtain any necessary visas.
Yellow Fever Vaccine: The US Center for Disease Control reports that the Yellow Fever vaccine is currently in short supply and distributed at only certain locations in the USA. Click here for more information. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/search-for-stamaril-clinics. Gate 1 recommends guests needing this vaccine for travel to certain African, South and Central American countries to contact your nearest clinic as early as possible to determine availability.
International Entry & Visa Requirements for U.S. Passport Holders
Countries listed below require specific visa and/or other entry documentation in addition to a U.S. passport. All other countries (not listed) require only a valid U.S. passports.
Making the Visa Process Easier: For some countries, especially China and Russia, obtaining a visa can be a difficult and time-consuming process. Gate 1 suggests using a fee-based service like GenVisa when applying for your visa. Compared to guests who apply on their own, guests who use a visa service are less likely to have their applications rejected requiring re-submission for additional information or to correct any errors. Because visa services review your application prior to submission and offer guidance on how to best complete your application, they are able to make the process easier based on their years of experience working with the various consulates.
Click a box below to view entry requirements:
- For arrivals beginning in early 2021, an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) travel authorization will be required to enter any of the 26 member countries that compose the Schengen zone. The ETIAS travel authorization will be valid for stays up to 90 days and once issued, valid for multiple entries over 3 years or until passport expiration, whichever comes first. The EU has not yet released its ETIAS application form so please check back closer to your travel date for this form and cost. For more information visit https://www.etiasvisa.com/
. Please note certain EU countries like Ireland, Croatia and Romania are not Schengen countries and have different entry requirements.
- Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visa is required. See eta.immi.gov.au
for more information. Please click on the "Apply for ETA" button in the top left hand corner to fill in the on-line application form for an ETA visa. Additional information regarding this visa can be found at the various links directly below the "Apply for ETA" and "Check your ETA" buttons.
- A visa is required for entry into Bhutan and is obtained on your behalf by Gate 1 Travel. In order to secure your Bhutan visa, we will need a scanned copy of your passport 45 days before your scheduled entry into Bhutan. In this case only, the included visa service applies to all nationalities. Passport must be valid for six months beyond travel dates.
- Visa required. We strongly suggest visas be obtained in advance to ensure entry and avoid long, multi-hour delays. Visas may be obtained by mail or in person at the Bolivian Consulate in the U.S. corresponding to your state of residence. In addition to a passport with a validity of at least 6 months, applicants must submit a completed application, one color passport photo, evidence of a hotel reservation or letter of invitation in Spanish, tour itinerary, proof of economic solvency (credit card, cash or a current bank statement), and application fee. A Yellow Fever vaccine is also recommended but not mandatory. For more information contact the Embassy of Bolivia at 1825 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 200C, Washington, D.C. 20009; Telephone: 202-232-4828 or 202-232-4827. There are Bolivian Consulates General in Houston, Los Angeles, Miami and New York. Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly.
- Visa required. US citizens may obtain a Cambodian visa upon arrival at the airports in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and at all major border crossings. One passport-sized photograph is required. E-Visas may also be obtained in advance online at least 3 business days prior to travel at https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
. For more information, visit www.embassyofcambodia.org
or contact the Embassy of Cambodia, 4530 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20011; Telephone: 202-726-7742 or 202-997-7031
- U.S. passport holders do not need a visa, Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or transit visa to visit Canada or make a connecting flight to/from another country. All others, including lawful permanent residents of the U.S. (green card holders), may require either a visa, eTA or transit visa to visit Canada or make a connecting flight to/from another country. Please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
for more information.
- Visa required. U.S. passport holders are required to provide documentation to support their visa application which includes (1) full passport name; (2) hotel names, addresses and phone numbers; and (3) confirmed airline reservations with ticket numbers. This information will be provided to you in your documents upon receipt of your full payment and once airline tickets have been issued. To learn how to obtain a visa from the Embassy of the People's Republic of China (PRC), visit www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/
. Please ensure you use the correct application form based on the location where you will be applying for your visa. If applying at the Washington D.C. embassy or the Chicago, New York or San Francisco Consulates, use http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/lszj/bgxz/P020130830121570742708.pdf
. If applying at the Los Angeles or Houston Consulates, use http://losangeles.china-consulate.org/eng/visa/chinavisa/P020180301250381274902.pdf
. Two days following your initial booking and deposit, you will receive information via email about obtaining a visa to China. In the rare instance the Chinese consulate requests an original invitation letter after you have submitted your application, please contact our Service Department. For guests making flight connections in China to a 3rd country and desiring to stopover for up to 144 hours, you may be eligible for China's Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program. Please visit https://www.travelchinaguide.com/tour/visa/free-transit-144-hours.htm
for more information. The duration of your visa-free stopover varies depending on your connecting airport. Special note for customers visiting TIBET
- A group permit is required for travel to Tibet and will be obtained for you upon final payment. In order to secure the Tibet visa on your behalf, we will need a scanned copy of your passport and China visa 45 days before departure from the US. The cost of this permit is included in the package price. At this time, we are only able to obtain a Tibet visa for U.S. passport holders. Once you make final payment, you will receive an email containing special instructions on how to apply for your Chinese visa. Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly.
- Visa required. Single-entry visas valid for 30 days may be purchased upon arrival. Cost is $25 and payable only in cash. Exact change required. No credit cards accepted. Upon arrival, proceed to one of the bank kiosks in the Immigration hall to obtain a self-adhesive visa sticker. Apply the sticker to a blank page of your passport and proceed to the immigration desks. To avoid any possible lines at the kiosk, you may also obtain a visa sticker direct from the airport representative meeting your flight holding a Gate 1 sign for a service fee of $2 per person plus cost of the visa. Exact change required. No credit cards accepted. Multiple entry visas are not available for purchase upon arrival so if needing to re-enter Egypt after visiting Jordan (or elsewhere), a separate single entry visa must be purchased at that time. Alternatively, prior to your arrival in Egypt you may apply for an e-visa (Single and Multiple Entry) at https://visa2egypt.gov.eg
- Visa required. An electronic visa may be obtained at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html
. Passengers who enter India, continue to Nepal or Bhutan, and then re-enter India will require a dual or multiple entry visa for India depending on the total number of entries into India. Alternatively, passengers may obtain a sticker-type visa at
however this option is more expensive than an electronic visa. Passengers traveling to India will need to provide a reference, including name, address, and phone number, for their Indian visa. Click here
for this information. Two days following your initial booking and deposit, you will receive complete information via email about obtaining a visa to India. Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly.
- Jordan visas are arranged for you by Gate 1 in the following situations:
1. Passengers who have an Amman or Aqaba airport arrival transfer included in their trip
2. Passengers entering Jordan at a land border crossing on an Israel & Jordan combination tour:
Gate 1 will arrange your visa free of charge applicable for all nationalities. We will request your passport information which is needed at least 60 days prior to departure. Upon arrival in Jordan, either at the Amman or Aqaba Airports or at one of the land border crossings between Israel and Jordan, a local Gate 1 representative will provide you with a one-page letter (Visa Manifest) before you reach passport control. The Visa Manifest will include your full passport information and details of your tour program. It is needed for entry and departure from Jordan. Note: In case you lose your Visa Manifest, change your schedule or choose to depart Jordan on your own, a $60 visa fee will apply upon departure.
3. Passengers participating on the optional Full Day Petra tour from Israel:
Gate 1 will obtain a visa locally for approximately $60 as long as your passport information is provided to the Israel Tour Manager at least 48 hours in advance. This is in addition to the border taxes & fees.
4. In all other situations
, you will need to get your visa on your own in advance of your trip. A single entry visa costs approximately $60 and can be obtained in advance or on arrival at certain entry points. Please contact the Jordanian Embassy for more information: Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, 3504 International Drive, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008; Telephone: 202-966-2664. http://www.jordanembassyus.org/
- Visa required. The current fee for a single entry visa is $51 and must be obtained in advance. Passengers continuing onto Tanzania, and connecting in Nairobi, Kenya for their final departure flight to the US do not require a transit or multiple entry visa. A single entry visa is valid for connecting flights. Passengers traveling to Kenya will need to provide a reference, including name, address, and phone number, for their Kenyan visa. Click here
for further information. Passengers continuing onto Tanzania from Kenya must carry proof of yellow fever vaccination. Passengers continuing onto Uganda from Kenya should apply for an East Africa Tourist visa http://www.magicalkenya.com/visit-kenya/visa-information/east-africa-tourist-visa/
. To apply for a Single Entry or East Africa Tourist visa, go to evisa.go.ke
and follow the instructions. You will await approval via email (approx. 2 days), then download and print the eVisa to be presented upon entry to Kenya. The eVisa is valid for 3 months before travel. For more information contact the Kenyan Embassy at 2247 R-Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008; Telephone: 202-387-6101; Website: http://www.kenyaembassydc.org/visa.html
- Visa required. Tourists may obtain a visa for $35 upon arrival at the airports in Vientiane and Luang Prabang, and at major border crossings. Two passport-sized photographs are required.
- Visa required. An e-visa must be obtained in advance. See https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/
for more information and to apply. E-visas are processed within 3 business days of application and cost $50. Upon approval, you will be emailed an e-visa Approval Letter which must be printed prior to the start of your trip and presented to the Immigration official upon arrival in Myanmar. Do not apply too early as you must enter the country within 90 days of Approval Letter issuance.
- Visa required however it may be obtained at the port of entry at no charge. Travelers are strongly encouraged to have a minimum of 4 or more unstamped visa pages in their passport prior to commencing travel (amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement).
- Visa required. Tourists may obtain a visa on arrival for $30 for a 15 day stay, or $50 for a 30 day stay, payable in cash at the airport in Kathmandu. The visa is valid for multiple entries. We recommend guests bring two passport sized photographs in the event the automated kiosks are unable to take your photo. You may save time and skip some of the lines by completing your application in advance and uploading your photo at https://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/tourist-visa
. Once your application is completed, you will receive a visa receipt which must be printed and shown to the Immigration official upon arrival. For assistance completing your online application please refer to http://www.nepal-online-visa-form-help.org
. Do not complete the application too soon as the visa receipt requires you to enter Nepal within 15 days of issuance. Alternatively, you may choose to secure a traditional visa prior to departure. For information, you may contact the Royal Nepalese Embassy at 2131 Leroy Place, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone 202-667-4550 or visit nepalembassyusa.org
or contact the Consulate General in New York at 212-370-3988.
- An electronic Travel Authority (eTA) and payment of an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism levy are required to enter the country beginning October 1, 2019. The eTA must be obtained prior to the beginning of travel and can be obtained at https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz
. Allow up to 72 hours for processing. Total cost is NZ$47 (approximately US$31).
- Visa required. An e-visa must be obtained in advance at https://evisa.rop.gov.om/en/visa-eligibility
. You will need to upload a digital passport photo and a copy of your passport to your application. A 10-day single-entry tourist visa costs 5 OMR (approximately US$13). Do not apply too early as your visa requires you to enter Oman within 30 days of visa issuance. Please keep in mind you will be spending time in the UAE before entering Oman.
- Visa required. The visa application process requires an application form, a valid passport, one passport-sized photo, your trip confirmation from Gate 1, a Visa Support Letter (VSL) also provided by Gate 1, and a processing fee. Two days following your initial booking and deposit, you will receive complete information via email about obtaining a Visa Support Letter (VSL) and a visa to Russia, and then again at 120 days prior to departure. If a revision is required after the VSL has been issued, there is a $50 per person Russia Visa Support Letter change fee that will be applied. Visas services for the Embassy of the Russian Federation are managed by VFS Global, 1025 Vermont Avenue N.W., Washington D.C. 20015 Tel (202) 503-9911. All applicants must first complete an online Visa Application Form at http://visa.kdmid.ru
and then either appear in person at the Visa Center ($33 fee in addition to the Consular visa fees) or submit their application via a visa service. Details at https://washington.mid.ru/en/
. (Note - although the Russian embassy recommends multiple-entry visas for US citizens, it is not necessary. A single-entry visa is sufficient for itineraries with one entrance into the Russian Federation). Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly. Visa processing can take up to 6 weeks during which time your passport will be unavailable for other international trips.
- Proof of sufficient health insurance coverage and funds (generally in the amount of $50 per person per day) are required upon entry.
- A tourist visa is not required for stays up to 90 days however passengers are required to have at least two, entirely blank (unstamped) visa pages (i.e. one side of such a page not front and back thereof) in their passport, each time entry is sought into South Africa. This includes re-entry from eSwatini. Therefore passengers continuing on to Zimbabwe and/or Botswana are required to have four blank visa pages. These pages are in addition to the endorsement/amendment pages at the back of the passport. South African government regulations prohibit airlines from boarding passengers without the required blank visa page. For more information, please visit the South African consulate website http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/tourist_visa.htm
- Visa Required. Passengers may obtain Electronic Travel Authorization prior to arrival. This can be obtained by visiting http://www.eta.gov.lk
and paying a $35 fee. A visa may be obtained upon arrival for $40, however wait times for processing can be lengthy. It is highly recommended to obtain a ETA prior to departure to expedite your entry.
- A tourist visa is not required for stays up to 30 days however passengers are strongly encouraged to have several unstamped visa pages in their passports for each entry into the country.
- Visa required and all passport holders should have four entirely blank (unstamped) visa pages in their passport. Visas are available for purchase at the Kilimanjaro Airport, however we strongly suggest it be obtained in advance at https://eservices.immigration.go.tz/visa/
to avoid long delays and ensure entry. Visas upon arrival are not guaranteed. The current fee for a visa is $100. Passengers purchasing a visa at the airport must be prepared to pay in USD (cash). Passengers traveling to Tanzania will need to provide a reference, including name, address, and phone number, for their Tanzanian visa. Click here
for details. For more information, visit https://tanzaniaembassy-us.org
or contact the Embassy of Tanzania, 1232 22nd Street NW, Washington, DC 20037, telephone (202) 884-1080. Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly. Passengers traveling to Tanzania from Kenya or another country with risk of yellow fever, must carry proof of yellow fever vaccination. Please note that the government of Tanzania prohibits travelers to have certain types of plastic bags in their possession when entering the country. Visit https://tanzaniaembassy-us.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/NoticeToTravelers.pdf
for more information.
- Visa required. An e-visa must be obtained in advance at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
. Immigration officials advise guests to print a hard copy of their e-visa notification and bring it with them in the event of system failure. Visas are not required for sea cruise passengers who purchase shore excursions to Kusadasi and Istanbul. When entering Turkey via a land border crossing, a pre-obtained e-Visa is also required. Contact the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey at 2525 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone: (202) 612-6700, or the Turkish consulates general in Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, or New York.
- Visa required. Visitors to Uganda must apply for a visa in advance through the Government of Uganda's
website at least two weeks prior to travel. The fee for a single entry tourist visa is $50. Passengers traveling to Uganda will need to provide a local reference, including company name, address and phone number, for their Ugandan visa. Click here
for further information. Passengers traveling on the 19 Day Kenya & Uganda Wildlife Exploration should apply for an East Africa Tourist Visa at http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html
$100 and is valid for entry into Kenya and Uganda. http://www.magicalkenya.com/visit-kenya/visa-information/
- Visa required for U.S. but not for Canadian citizens. To apply for an e-visa, go to https://e-visa.gov.uz/main
. E-visas are processed within a few business days after submission of the application however we recommend you give yourself sufficient time to take into account possible technology issues. If you experience technical problems with their website, you may email [email protected]
for assistance or call Uzbekistan's visa office in Tashkent (10 hours ahead of Eastern time) at (+998 71) 233-45-01. Don't apply too soon as your e-visa requires you to enter and leave the country within 90 days of e-visa issuance. Once you arrive in country, you are allowed a stay of up to 30 days but not past the expiration date of your 90-day e-visa. For more information go to https://mfa.uz/en/consular/visa/
. Alternatively, you may obtain a visa through a fee-based service such as GEN VISA. Please note that GEN VISA is unable to assist passengers who choose to apply for their visas directly.
- Visa required. US Citizens traveling on the 13 Day Zambia, Botswana & South Africa Adventure and the 13 Day Deluxe South Africa with Victoria Falls and Chobe River Safari should purchase the Kaza Uni-Visa for $50. The Kaza Uni-Visa allows for multiple border crossings between Zambia and Zimbabwe as required by these itineraries. This visa can be obtained upon arrival in Zambia. Payment in cash is recommended.
- Visa required. Visas for U.S. citizens can only be obtained upon arrival to Zimbabwe. US Citizens entering Zimbabwe for tourism can expect to pay $30 for a single-entry visa and $45 for a double-entry visa. Passengers traveling on the 11 Day Essential South Africa with Victoria Falls, 14 Day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls and the 16 Day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls & Botswana will be advised by their Tour Manager at the start of their tour whether to obtain a single-entry Zimbabwe visa or a Kaza Uni-Visa based on their arrival airport in the Victoria Falls area. Passengers traveling on the 13 Day Zambia, Botswana & South Africa Adventure and the 13 Day Deluxe South Africa with Victoria Falls and Chobe River Safari should purchase the Kaza Uni-Visa for $50. The Kaza Uni-Visa allows for multiple border crossings between Zambia and Zimbabwe as required by these itineraries. All information and rates are subject to change without notice. Payment in cash is recommended.